I have long had a love of reading. Not necessarily the 200 page a night readings we have all become accustomed to in college, but at one point in time there was always something I was reading for entertainment. So in the spirit of summer (and an abundance of free time) I have decided to catch up on all the books that have seemed enticing since last summer. I just got 8 books out from the library so get excited for the plethora of books, trashy, classy, you name it I'll read it!
First up I chose a book that was on the NY Times Bestseller list when it came out. It is by a HILARIOUS woman, Chelsea Handler.
My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands by Chelsea Handler
Upon reading the title I knew I was in for a ride. It almost seemed to raunchy to read, but if you know anything about me the one thing I enjoy is a guilty pleasure (i.e. Rock of Love duh). The first short story featured is about an adventure of her as a kid sneaking into her parents room and taking a picture of them while having sex. Even as a kid Chelsea was fearless and always seeking taboos.
Later on in the book it details how her one night stands have evolved over time. Not all her endeavors end in sex, unfortunately including her night with a midget in Mexico. Chelsea doesn't discriminate in height, ethnicity, heck even age!
What I really enjoyed about this book wasn't her sexual encounters, but her relationships with friends. She takes us through the people who have grown up with her in New Jersey, and those who she has met upon moving to Los Angeles. Her feisty behavior shows how much of a foil she is to most of her friends. One in particular is her sheltered roommate, also from NJ, who she lovingly refers to as Dumb Dumb.
Overall, I think this book is defined worth reading. Many of the wacky situations we get into or hear about are outlined in this book, with some crazy things thrown into the mix. Her walk of shame in an M&M costume...the night after Valentine's day, enough said. If you want a good laugh you need to pick up this book because it is more outrageous than Chelsea Lately permits with twice the laughs.
No comments:
Post a Comment